Friday, August 21, 2015

Wes Storytelling Series - Volume 3



I have worked in some of the funniest places just using my laptop.

The picture is of me working on the 3rd floor of the Perot Museum in downtown Dallas, TX.

It was the only public plug outlet for the entire museum. It happened to be located near the earthquake simulator, and it happened to be everyone's class field trip so the place was packed with screaming kids. As I got on the call, I apologized for the background noise, and continued with the discussion. I had to take a project call there and put myself on mute as much as possible. No one on the call asked me where I was and I didn't need to tell them.

Once I was sitting in a Starbucks across the Hudson river in NJ with downtown Manhattan, NY in my view. Other times I have been in hip coffee shops that near Yosemite, where hippies hang out.

Often times I witness job interviews at coffee shops for either the coffee shop that I am sitting in, or other places of employment. Sometimes I feel like walking over and trying to be the sales guy on behalf of the interviewee, because they screwed it up, with a comment like "At my last job, they just didn't understand me"

Once I was stuck in the car hunched over for a couple hours in Colorado busting some pricing out in the car, because it was snowing and there wasn't a good coffee shope nearby. That was fun!

A couple weeks back, I found myself in between calls in South Lake Tahoe talking to some hikers sitting next to me that were in the middle of the Pacific Rim Trail. Holy Cow! They started near the Mexican border and were re-stocking on food .

Just call me "Wes the RV Campground IT guy"

Every time, I pull out my laptop, phone, and mifi (mobile wifi), the older folks at the RV site seem to think that I can solve all of their technology issues in the world. I am constantly asked for the campground wifi password, and when they can;t get on line, they always seem to express that verbally to me. And I'm like, "okay try the password and remember that it is case sensitive." This usually does the trick. Every one is mesmorized by my flashy "gizmo's" one older Floridian called them

Can you keep it down, I am trying to get some work done.

Often times, especially in Florida, the older folks want to have fun in the game room with Ping pong or pool, or whatever suites their fancy. It's kind of funny, that the stereotypical roles are reversed. A guy in his mid-thirties feels like telling older folks in their mid-sixties that he wants it quiet so he can get some work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment